Floyd Petersen, 2013
Dear Editor;
I am a professor and research consultant In the School of
Public Health here at Loma Linda University. In this capacity I have been
fortunate to have traveled to many parts of the world. I also served on the Loma Linda City Council
for 20 years, 10 of those years as mayor.
Several years ago I was teaching a graduate level class in
biostatistics at a university in Kenya. My students were from 22 different
African countries. Since some students were from French speaking Africa, all my
lectures were interpreted into French. My interpreter was Yenge Yenge Yenge Isaac,
a business administrator from the Cameroons.
One day during a break, our conversation turned to global
economics. Mr. Isaac speculated on how
nice it would be if Bill Gates gave each African a million dollars. Mr. Isaac
knew that I had some understanding of African culture as I had taught and lived
in Zambia for 7 years in the early
1970's. He then turned to me with a serious questioned
look and asked; "Why are you rich and we are poor"? And by "you" he didn't mean me
personally, of course, but we as Americans
Wow! A profound question.
A question that everyone must have pondered at some point in their lives:
why are some peoples rich and some poor”. I replied that many books had been
written on that subject including the 500 page “Guns, Germs, and Steal" by ULA professor, Jared Diamond .
"But", I said, "I have a simple answer": We have a famous American by the name of
Thomas Jefferson who wrote our most famous document - our Declaration of
Independence. In the last sentence of that document Jefferson wrote this:
" We pledge to each other our
lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor". I said: "I believe It
is this pledge of "Sacred Honor" that has made us rich as a nation".
"We are rich because we trust
each other, and when that pledge is broken, we will be poor". He said "Now I understand ".
Why are we rich? Because we can borrow capital to start a
business, and the lenders trust they
will be paid back. We call the police and trust
they will come to our aid. We put our money in investments and trust it will not be absconded with. We
trust in fair elections to choose
people to represent us in civic affairs, and we trust they will make and enforce fair and equitable laws for our city
or county or state, or country that will protect us from those who would betray
our trust for their own selfish greed. Knowing,
full-well, however, the most well-intentioned law cannot substitute for trust between people
We can have as many
open government laws as we can write but if it is an elected person's studied
intention to rip us off, it can be done. We have seen it too often. Over and
over, in the last several years, big business has betrayed our trust, in spite
of myriad laws. Trust cannot be legislated.
Perhaps we have spent too much time perusing our second most
famous document - the constitution - to discover our rights as citizens, and
too little time re- reading that last sentence in the Declaration of Independence, reviewing our
responsibilities inherent in that pledge of our sacred honor we made to each
other.
The continued success of our treasured experiment as a free
people is based on trust. For
without trust there is no freedom. Trust is our only real currency.
Floyd Petersen
No comments:
Post a Comment